Experimental Medicine and Morphology
The Influence of Corvitin on Proteolytic Activity in Rats with Gentamicin-Induced Nephropathy in Case of its Long-Term AdministrationHoroshko O. M., Zakharchuk O. I., Zamorskiy I. I., Ezhned M. A., Drachuk V. M., Palamar A. A., Sakhatska I. M.
- Higher State Educational Establishment of Ukraine Bukovinian State Medical University
- 2, Theatralna Sq., Chernivtsi 58002, Ukraine
Renal pathology, as one of the urgent conditions, quickly leads to lethality and also complicates many diseases. Quite often there are medicinal forms of acute kidney damage due to the nephrotoxic effect of a number of drugs, namely the antibiotic gentamicin. In the pathogenesis of gentamicin nephropathy, activation of free radical oxidation processes takes place on the background of the imbalance of acute kidney damage. Oxidized proteins have an increased sensitivity to proteolysis. Given the role of oxidative stress in the development of gentamicin nephropathy, it is rational to carry out correction of antibiotic's toxic effect by using drugs with antioxidant activity.
The purpose of the work was to investigate the changes in proteolytic activity in urine, plasma and kidney tissue with prolonged administration of corvitin in rats with gentamicin-induced nephropathy.
Material and methods. Experiments were performed on non-linear white rats with body weight of 120-180 g. The gentamicin model was induced by administering 4% solution of gentamicin sulfate to the rats at a dose of 80 mg/kg once a day during 6 days. Corvitin was administered intraperitoneally at a dose of 10 mg/kg converted to quercetin. Animals were decapitated under a light etheric anesthesia on the 7th day of the experiment. The degree of damage to the renal tissue with gentamicin nephropathy was evaluated according to the proteolysis intensity.
Results and discussion. During the study of gentamicin-induced nephropathy, deep changes took place in the functional state of the kidneys with a sharp suppression of proteolytic activity.
After long-term corvitin administration we observed the growth of the urine proteolytic activity. Thus, albumen lysis increased by 1.8 times; azocasein lysis increased by 1.9 times; azocola decay rates increased by 2.7 times compared to untreated animals after 7 days of administration.
In blood plasma, the intensity of lysis of low molecular weight proteins exceeded by 1.8 times the untreated animals for lysine by azoalbumin for 7 days. The proteolytic degradation of high molecular weight proteins which was determined by the azocasein lysis increased by 1.8 times. Under the drugs influence the collagenolytic activity of blood plasma by azocole lysis increased by 2.1 times in comparison with untreated animals.
Proteolytic activity in the renal tissue showed an increase in the lysis of azoalbumin by 1.8 times, azocasein lysis increased by 1.7 times. The activity of proteins destruction with the highest molecular weight increased by 1.9 times in comparison with untreated animals with corvitin administration.
Keywords: proteolytic activity, quercetin, corvitin, gentamicin-induced nephropathy
Full text: PDF (Ukr) 208K
- Fliser D, Laville M, Covic A, Fouque D, Vanholder R, Juillard L, et al. A European Renal Best Practice (ERBP) position statement on the Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) clinical practice guidelines on acute kidney injury: part 1: definitions, conservative management and contrast-induced nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012; 27(12): 4263–72. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23045432. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/3520085. https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfs375
- Quiros Y, Vicente-Vicente L, Morales AI, López-Novoa JM, López-Hernández FJ. An integrative overview on the mechanisms underlying the renal tubular cytotoxicity of gentamicin. Toxicol Sci. 2011; 119(2): 245–56. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20829429. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfq267
- Muthuraman A, Singla S, Rana A, Singh A, Sood Sh. Reno-protective role of flunarizine against gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2011; 131(3): 437–43. https://doi.org/10.1248/yakushi.131.437
- Zamorskyi II, Dudka YeA, Shchudrova TS. Vplyv melatoninu na funktsionalnyi stan nyrok shchuriv za umov rozvytku hentamitsynovoi nefropatiyi na tli pinealnoi hipofunktsiyi. Klinichna ta eksperymentalna patolohiya. 2018; 3 (65): 44-9. [Ukrainian]
- Drachuk VM, Zamorskyi II. Porivnyalna kharakterystyka nefroprotektornoi aktyvnosti taurynu ta kanefronu pry hentamitsynoviy nefropatiyi. Odeskyi medychnyi zhurnal. 2018; 4: 12-7. [Ukrainian]
- Ali B H, Al Za'abi M, Blunden G, Nemmar A. Experimental gentamicin nephrotoxicity and agents that modify it: a mini-review of recent research. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2011; 109(4): 225–32. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21599835. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7843.2011.00728.x
- Balakumar P, Rohilla A, Thangathirupathi A. Gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity: Do we have a promising therapeutic approach to blunt it? Pharmacol Res. 2010; 62(3): 179–86. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20434560. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2010.04.004
- Zamorskyi II, Unhuryan TM. Aktyvnist proteolizu ta fibrynolizu v nyrkoviy tkanyni za hostroho poshkodzhennya nyrok na tli vvedennya tseruloplazminu. Ukrainskyi zhurnal medytsyny, biolohiyi ta sportu. 2018; 3(12): 16-20. [Ukrainian] https://doi.org/10.26693/jmbs03.03.016
- Neporada KS, Berehova TV, Sukhomlyn AA, ta in. Rozvytok proteolitychnoho dysbalansu v tkanynakh orhaniv porozhnyny rota (ohlyad literatury). Medychnyi forum. 2017; 12(12): 103–6. [Ukrainian]
- Zamorskyi II, Shchudrova TS. Porivnyalna otsinka nefroprotektornoi aktyvnosti orhanospetsyfichnykh peptydiv pry hentamitsynoviy nefropatiyi v shchuriv. Farmakolohiya ta likarska toksykolohiya. 2014; 6(41): 81-6. [Ukrainian]
- Mikhyeyev AO, Horban YeM. Osoblyvosti perebihu proteolizu, fibrynylizu ta perekysnoho okysnennya lipidiv u kirkoviy rechovyni nyrok shchuriv riznoho viku. Medychna khimiya. 2007; 9(2): 70-3. [Ukrainian]
- Mahalyas VM, Mikhyeyev AO, Rohovyi BYe, ta in. Suchasni metodyky eksperymentalnykh ta klinichnykh doslidzhen Tsentralnoi naukovo-doslidnoi laboratoriyi Bukovynskoi derzhavnoi medychnoi akademiyi. Metodychnyi posibnyk. Chernivtsi: BDMA; 2001. 42 p. [Ukrainian]
- Tymofiychuk IR, Anokhina SI. Stan proteo- ta fibrynolitychnoi aktyvnosti struktur holovnoho mozku ta riven metabolitiv monooksydu nitrohenu u shchuriv riznykh vikovykh hrup. Zdobutky klinichnoi i eksperymentalnoi medytsyny. (Ternopil). 2013; 2: 284-5. [Ukrainian]