Experimental Medicine and Morphology
Generalized Morphometric Characteristics of the Vascular Components of the Mucous Membrane of All the Walls of the Human Frontal Sinus in a NormeSerbin S. I. 1, Dubyna S. O. 1, Bondarenko S. V. 1, Filenko B. M. 2, Koptev M. M. 2, Pyrog-Zakaznikova A. V. 2
- 1 - Donetsk National Medical University, Department of Human Anatomy. 27, Pryvokzalna Str., Lyman 84404, Ukraine
- 2 - Poltava State Medical University, Department of Family Medicine and Therapy. 23, Shevchenko St., Poltava 36000, Ukraine
The purpose of the work was to study the histological structure of the mucous membrane of all the walls of the frontal sinus of a person in order to obtain morphometric data on its structural components: surface blood vessels – arteries and veins, and links of the hemomicrocirculatory bed – arterioles, capillaries and venules in the lamina propria of the mucous membrane of all the walls of the human frontal sinus in a norme.
Materials and methods. The material for the study was the mucous membrane of the frontal sinus of 110 people who died at the age of 22–86 years from causes not related to the pathology of the paranasal sinuses. The collection of material was carried out in the conditions of the Poltava Regional Pathological and Anatomical Bureau of the Department of Health of the Poltava Regional State Administration and in the conditions of the Forensic Morgue of the Bureau of Forensic Examination of the Department of Health of the Poltava Regional State Administration in accordance with the cooperation agreements. In our work, we used age periodization according to G. Craig (2000). After obtaining the mucous membranes of the frontal sinus, their fragments were fixed in a 2.5% solution of glutaraldehyde in a phosphate buffer. Subsequently, sealing was performed in epoxy resin “Epon-812”.
Results. The results of the study showed that the average diameter of the lumen of the resistive and capacitive links of the hemomicrocirculatory bed is the largest in the mucous membrane of the anterior wall of the human frontal sinus (respectively, 11.16 ± 0.37 µm on the left / 11.34 ± 0.31 µm on the right (p<0.05) and 7.63 ± 0.08 µm on the left / 7.57 ± 0.09 µm on the right), the smallest – in the composition of the mucous membrane of the posterior wall (respectively, 6.96 ± 0.19 µm on the left / 6.56 ± 0.35 µm on the right and 8.82 ± 0.16 µm on the left / 9.02 ± 0.43 µm on the right (p<0.05)). Exchangeable hemomicrovessels with the smallest diameter – 3.89 ± 0.08 µm on the left and 4.19 ± 0.02 µm on the right (p<0.05) are found in the certain area. The widest capillaries determined by us in the composition of the mucous membrane of the inferior wall were 4.88 ± 0.07 µm on the left and 4.73 ± 0.12 µm on the right (p<0.05) of the frontal sinus.
Conclusion. The blood supply of the mucous membrane of the human frontal sinus is provided by the vascular hemomicrocirculatory bed, in which we identified 2 main components: surface microvessels (arteries and veins), which provided epithelial trophism and a deep vascular net (arterioles, capillaries and venules), which was localized in the connective tissue of the lamina propria and was represented by arteries and veins
Keywords: human, frontal sinus, mucous membrane, hemomicrocirculatory bed, surface microvessels, morphometric method
Full text: PDF (Ua) 243K
- Hostryy rynosynusyt: adaptovana klinichna nastanova, zasnovana na dokazakh [Acute rhinosinusitis: an adapted evidence-based clinical guideline]. K: DETS MOZ Ukrayiny; 2016. 218 s. [Ukranian]
- Kazakovtsev VP, Kulikova OM, Anohina YaYu. Development of recommendations to reduce the incidence of chronic diseases of the mucous membrane of the nose, paranasal sinuses and pharynx. Fundamentalni doslidzhennya. 2013;7(1):96-100.
- Pronina OM, Koptev MM, Vynnyk NI, Proskurnya SA, Filenko BM. Current view on the structure and function of the frontal sinus: literature review. Wiad Lek. 2018;71(6):1215-1218. PMID: 30267502
- Serbin SI, Yeroshenko HA, Svintsytsʹka NL, Sovhyrya SM, Vynnyk NI. Histo-topohrafichni osoblyvosti lobovoyi pazukhy lyudyny v normi [Histo-topographic features of the frontal sinus of a normal person]. Monohraf. Poltava; 2019. 118 s. [Ukranian]
- Malkina-Pykh IG. Growing up in the crisis of adulthood: Handbook of a practical psychologist. 2005.416 p.
- Belokon' SA, Vitko YuN, Tkachenko PI, Starchenko II, Hryn VH. Optimization of the study of structural elements of biological tissues on histotopographic sections. Molodyi uchenyi. 2014;15(74):134–7.
- Patent 112472 Ukraine, MPK A61B 1/00, H01L 33/56 (2010.01). Sposib kompleksnoho morfolohichnoho doslidzhennya chervopodibnykh vidrostkiv lyudyny v epoksydniy smoli «Epon-812» [The method of complex morphological research of human worm-like appendages in epoxy resin "Epon-812] / Hryn VH, Sherstyuk OO, Starchenko II, Prylutsʹkyy OK. (UA); zayavnik i vlasnik patentu VDNZU UMSA (UA). № u201512516; zayavl 18.12.15 ; opubl 26.12.16. Byul № 24/2016. [Ukranian]
- Kostilenko YuP, Boyko IV, Starchenko II. The method of making histological preparations, equivalent to half-thickness sections of a large viewing surface, for multi-purpose morphological studies. Morfolohiya. 2007;5:94–6.
- Lynn J. Rapid toluidine blue staning of Epon-embeded and mounted «adjacent» sections. Am J Clin Path. 1965;44:57–58. PMID: 14314220. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/44.1.57
- Patent 75669 Ukraine, MPK G01N 1/30. Sposib zabarvlennya napivtonkykh zriziv [The method of staining semi-thin sections] / Shepitʹko VI, Yeroshenko HA, Yakushko OS. (UA); zayavnik i vlasnik patentu Shepitʹko VI, Yeroshenko HA, Yakushko OS. (UA). № u201206261; zayavl 24.05.12 ; opubl 10.12.12. Byul № 23/2012. [Ukranian]
- Yakushko OS, Shepitʹko VI, Yeroshenko HA. Polikhromnyy sposib zabarvlennya histolohichnykh preparative [Polychrome method of staining histological preparations]. Svit medytsyny ta biolohiyi. 2013;3(39):61–64. [Ukranian]
- Avtandilov GG. Medical morphometry. 1990. 384 s.
- Tanavalee C, Luksanapruksa P, Singhatanadgige W. Limitations of Using Microsoft Excel Version 2016 (MS Excel 2016) for Statistical Analysis for Medical Research. Clin Spine Surg. 2016;29(5):203–4. PMID: 27135620. doi: 10.1097/BSD.0000000000000382
- Langille M, Walters E, Dziegielewski PT, Kotylak T, Wright ED. Frontal sinus cells: identification, prevalence, and association with frontal sinus mucosal thickening. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2012 May-Jun;26(3):e107-10. PMID: 22643938. doi: 10.2500/ajra.2012.26.3774