Experimental Medicine and Morphology
Morphometric Characteristics of the Glands of the Mucous Membrane of All the Walls of the Human Frontal Sinus in a NormeSerbin S. I. 1, Dubyna S. O. 1, Bondarenko S. V. 1, Sovgyria S. M. 2, Koptev M. M. 2, Pyrog-Zakaznikova A. V. 2
- 1 - Donetsk National Medical University, Department of Human Anatomy. 27, Pryvokzalna Str., Lyman 84404, Ukraine
- 2 - Poltava State Medical University. 23, Shevchenko St., Poltava 36000, Ukraine
The purpose of the work was to study the microscopic structure of the mucous membrane of all the walls of the frontal sinus of a person in order to obtain morphometric data on its structural components – glands and the submucosal base. Materials and methods. The material for the study was the mucous membrane of the frontal sinus of 110 people who died at the age of 22–86 years from causes not related to the pathology of the paranasal sinuses. Results and discussion. The results of the study showed that the glands in the mucous membranes of all the walls of the frontal sinus are alveolar-tubular in structure. In a morphometric study of such a structural component of the mucous membrane of all the walls of the frontal sinus, as the thickness of the submucosal base, it was shown that the thickest submucosal base is located on the inferior wall (on the left – 423.67 ± 21.33 μm; on the right – 426.45 ± 16.77 μm (p<0.05)) and is four times higher than the average values of thickness on the posterior wall and septum. The outer diameter of the end sections of the glands of septum of the human frontal sinus in a morphometric study averaged 25.42 ± 1.68 μm on the left and 25.89 ± 1.38 μm on the right (p<0.05), that is, the smallest compared to other walls. The values of the average diameter of the end sections of the glands of the mucous membranes of the anterior, inferior, and posterior walls of the frontal sinus probably did not differ between themselves. Conclusion. From the obtained data, it can be clearly seen that the mucous membrane of the inferior wall of the frontal sinus has the greatest functional load, since it has a connection with the nasal cavity in the middle nasal passage. The information obtained in the course of the study significantly expands knowledge about the structure of the human frontal sinus. Digital morphometric (metric) material with statistical processing confirms and complements the differences in the microstructure of the glands of the mucous membrane of the human frontal sinus in general, and separately on each wall, and in comparison with other paranasal sinuses. This is of great importance for modern otorhinolaryngology, since the glands of the mucous membranes of the paranasal sinuses are links of the mucociliary system, and such a process as mucociliary clearance depends on their quality work
Keywords: human, frontal sinus, mucous membrane, glands, morphometric method
Full text: PDF (Ua) 263K
- Sommer F, Hoffmann TK, Harter L, Döscher J, Kleiner S, Lindemann J, et al. Incidence of anatomical variations according to the International Frontal Sinus Anatomy Classification (IFAC) and their coincidence with radiological sings of opacification. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2019 Nov;276(11):3139–3146. PMID: 31471655. doi: 10.1007/s00405-019-05612-4
- Ziegler A, Patadia M, Stankiewicz J. Neurological Complications of Acute and Chronic Sinusitis. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2018 Feb;5;18(2):5. PMID: 29404826. doi: 10.1007/s11910-018-0816-8
- Alekseeva V. Anatomical predictions of development of rhinosinusitis and its complications. Inter Collegas. 2020;7(3):125–30. doi: 10.35339/ic.7.3.125-130
- Serbin SI, Yeroshenko HA, Svintsytsʹka NL, Sovhyrya SM, Vynnyk NI. Histo-topohrafichni osoblyvosti lobovoyi pazukhy lyudyny v normi [Histo-topographic features of the frontal sinus of a normal person]. Monohraf. Poltava; 2019. 118 s. [Ukranian]
- Malkina-Pykh IG. Growing up in the crisis of adulthood: Handbook of a practical psychologist. 2005.416 s.
- Belokon' SA, Vitko YuN, Tkachenko PI, Starchenko II, Hryn VH. Optimization of the study of structural elements of biological tissues on histotopographic sections. Molodyi uchenyi. 2014;15(74):134–7.
- Patent 112472 Ukraine, MPK A61B 1/00, H01L 33/56 (2010.01). Sposib kompleksnoho morfolohichnoho doslidzhennya chervopodibnykh vidrostkiv lyudyny v epoksydniy smoli «Epon-812» [The method of complex morphological research of human worm-like appendages in epoxy resin "Epon-812] / Hryn VH, Sherstyuk OO, Starchenko II, Prylutsʹkyy OK. (UA); zayavnik i vlasnik patentu VDNZU UMSA (UA). № u201512516; zayavl 18.12.15 ; opubl 26.12.16. Byul № 24/2016. [Ukranian]
- Kostilenko YuP, Boyko IV, Starchenko II. The method of making histological preparations, equivalent to half-thickness sections of a large viewing surface, for multi-purpose morphological studies. Morfolohiya. 2007;5:94–6.
- Lynn J. Rapid toluidine blue staning of Epon-embeded and mounted «adjacent» sections. Am J Clin Path. 1965;44:57–58. PMID: 14314220. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/44.1.57
- Patent 75669 Ukraine, MPK G01N 1/30. Sposib zabarvlennya napivtonkykh zriziv [The method of staining semi-thin sections] / Shepitʹko VI, Yeroshenko HA, Yakushko OS. (UA); zayavnik i vlasnik patentu Shepitʹko VI, Yeroshenko HA, Yakushko OS. (UA). № u201206261; zayavl 24.05.12 ; opubl 10.12.12. Byul № 23/2012. [Ukranian]
- Yakushko OS, Shepitʹko VI, Yeroshenko HA. Polikhromnyy sposib zabarvlennya histolohichnykh preparative [Polychrome method of staining histological preparations]. Svit medytsyny ta biolohiyi. 2013;3(39):61–64. [Ukranian]
- Avtandilov GG. Medical morphometry. 1990. 384 s.
- Tanavalee C, Luksanapruksa P, Singhatanadgige W. Limitations of Using Microsoft Excel Version 2016 (MS Excel 2016) for Statistical Analysis for Medical Research. Clin Spine Surg. 2016;29(5):203–4. PMID: 27135620. doi: 10.1097/BSD.0000000000000382