Experimental Medicine and Morphology
Immunohistochemical Study of Trophoblasts Cellular Regulation Processes in Chorioamnionitis and Basal Deciduitis Combined with Iron-Deficiency Anemia in GravidasIlika V. V., Garvasiuk O. V., Ilika O. V.
- Bukovinian State Medical University. 2, Theatralna Sq., Chernivtsi 58002, Ukraine
The purpose of the study is to establish quantitative parameters of cell proliferation and apoptosis in the trophoblast of the chorionic villi in chorioamnionitis and basal deciduitis combined with iron-deficiency anemia in gravidas by means of immunohistochemical method.
Materials and methods. 198 placentas were examined. The immunohistochemical procedure was performed using primary antibodies against Ki-67 and Bax antigen with imaging by a polymer system with diaminobenzidine dye. The number of Ki-67-positive nuclei of the chorionic villi trophoblast was counted, and for the Bax antigen, the optical density of the immunohistochemical staining was measured by means of microdensitometric method. Comparison of differences in mean trends was performed using the odd Student’s two-sided t-test (p≤0.05).
Results and discussion. The number of Ki-67-positive trophoblast nuclei in acute chorioamnionitis with iron-deficiency anemia in gravidas was 56±3.8 ‰, and the relative units of optical density of immunohistochemical staining for protein Bax – 0.234±0.0012, in chronic – 59±3.6 ‰ and 0.2, respectively.
The number of Ki-67-positive nuclei of the chorionic villi trophoblast was counted. Placentas with acute as well as chronic chorioamnionitis and basal deciduitis showed even higher averages (p <0.001).
In acute basal deciduitis in anemia, the number of Ki-67-positive trophoblast nuclei was 56±3.2 ‰, the average optical density of immunohistochemical staining for protein Bax – 0.236±0.0016, in chronic – 57±3.7 and 0.249±0.0015, respectively.
It should be noted that in chronic chorioamnionitis and basal deciduitis, these rates were higher than in acute. With the same regularity the average indicators of optical density of immunohistochemical staining on protein Bax in a trophoblast of chorionic villi at comorbid iron-deficiency anemia concerning an inflammation without anemia increase.
We have shown that proliferative activity in iron-deficiency anemia varies with gestational age and placental prematurity, but iron-deficiency anemia in gravidas and chorionic tree maturation both individually and in combination lead to the intensification of these processes.
We obtained a justification for the arithmetic mean thickness and volume of the placenta relative to observations of placenta with inflammation without anemia in this comorbid pathology.
Conclusion. Iron-deficiency anemia in gravidas leads to the intensification of proliferative processes and Bax-dependent apoptosis in the trophoblast of the chorionic villi of the placenta relative to the placenta from physiological pregnancy. In acute as well as in chronic chorioamnionitis and basal deciduitis, the proliferative activity and apoptotic processes in the trophoblast of the chorionic villi of the placenta increase, while comorbid iron-deficiency anemia in gravidas intensifies only the processes of Bax-dependent apoptosis
Keywords: inflammation of the placenta, trophoblast of the chorionic villi, anemia
Full text: PDF (Ua) 361K
- Garvasiuk ОV. Immunohistochemical examination of the regulation processes of the villous trophoblast cellular mass in case of iron deficiency in pregnancy and preterm maturation of the placental chorionic tree. Bukovynian Medical Bulletin. 2018;22(3):8–13. https://doi.org/10.24061/2413-0737.XXII.3.87.2018.56
- Zhyvetska-Denisova AA, Vorobyova II, Tkachenko VB, Podolsky VV, Tykha VG. The placenta as a mirror of pregnancy (literature review). Woman’s health. 2019;3(139):101–106. https://doi.org/10.15574/HW.2019.139.101
- Mo HQ, Tian FJ, Li X, Zhang J, Ma XL, Zeng WH, et al. ANXA7 regulates trophoblast proliferation and apoptosis in preeclampsia. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2019 Dec;82(6):e13183. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31446642. https://doi.org/10.1111/aji.13183.
- Kostyuk VM. The influence of iron deficiency anemia in gravidas on synthetic function and activity of apoptosis processes in the peripheral cytotrophoblast of the placenta. Arch Clin Med. 2013; 1: 45–7.
- Khovhaeva PA, Krasniy AM, Tyutyunnik NV, Sergunina OA, Ganichkina MB, et al. Placental apoptosis in preeclampsia. Medical Council. 2016;(2):102–104. https://doi.org/10.21518/2079-701X-2016-2-102-104
- Anoshina TM. Morphologic and immunohistochemical characteristics of placenta structure in hiv-associated herpes viral infection. Actual problems of modern medicine. 2016;16(3):141–5.
- Kim CJ, Romero R, Chaemsaithong P, Kim JS. Chronic Inflammation of the Placenta: Definition, Classification, Pathogenesis, and Clinical Significance. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015;213(4 Suppl):S53–S69. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26428503. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/4782598. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2015.08.041
- Maymon E, Romero R, Bhatti G, Chaemsaithong P, Gomez-Lopez N, Panaitescu B, et al. Chronic inflammatory lesions of the placenta are associated with an up-regulation of amniotic fluid CXCR3: A marker of allograft rejection. J Perinat Med. 2018;46(2):123–37. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28829757. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/5797487. https://doi.org/10.1515/jpm-2017-0042
- Benirschke K, BurtonGJ, Baergen RN. Pathologyofthehuman placenta. 2th ed. NY: Springer; 2011. 974 р. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/3381679. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-23941-0
- Ferreira T, Rasband W. ImageJ. User Guide. ImageJ/Fiji 1.46. NY: National Institute of Health; 2012. 198 p.
- Hammer Ø. PAST: Paleontological Statistics. Version 3.19. Reference Manual. Oslo: Natural History Museum University of Oslo; 2018. 259 p.
- Davydenko IS, Zadorozhna TD. Expression of proliferating cell nuclear antigen in nuclei of chorial villi trophoblast of placenta at iron deficiency anemia of the pregnant women. Perinatol Pediatr. 2005;1/2:22–25.
- Ancheva IA. Dysfunktsiya platsenty pry anemiyi vahitnykh: diahnostyka, vedennya vahitnosti i profilaktyka [Dysfunction of the placenta of pregnant women with anemia, diagnostics and prevention of pregnancy]. Abstr. Dr. Sci. (Med.). Odessa; 2015. 271 s. [Ukrainian]
- Zadnipryany IV, Tretyakova OS, Sataeva TP. Perinatal hypoxia as an inducer of cardiomyocyte apoptosis in neonates. World Med Biol. 2014; 1: 169–76.
- Pavlyshyn GA, Sarapuk IM, Yukhimchuk AT. Modern views on the role of neutrophils and apoptosis in the pathogenesis of inflammatory processes. Int J Pediatr Obstetr Gynecol. 2014; 5 (1): 69–81.
- Ilika VV, Davydenko IS. Chemiluminescent studying of nitro-peroxides in placental structures in chorionamnionitis and basal deciduitis in pregnant women with iron deficiency anemia. Ukr J Med Biol Sport. 2018;3(5):36–40. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.26693/jmbs03.05.036
- Goshovska AV. The state of invasive cytotrophoblast of the basal plate of the placenta of gravidas infected with tuberculous mycobacterium. Clin Anat Operat Surg. 2009;8(1):33–6.
- Ilika VV, Davydenko IS. Results of placental organometric study and histochemical study of collagen fibers in chorioamnionitis and basal deciduitis with concomitant iron deficiency anemia in pregnant women. Sci Bull Marine Med. 2018;3:109–16. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1450851