УЖМБС 2020, 5(5): 265–270https://doi.org/10.26693/jmbs05.05.265
Physical Therapy and Ergotherapy
Evaluation of Effectiveness and Suitability of Physical Therapy Application for Patients with Diabetic Peripheral PolyneuropathyShuper S. V. 1, Shyper V. O. 2, Rykova Yu. O. 3, Temerivska T. G. 1, Husak V. V. 1
- 1 - Yuriy Fedkovich Chernivtsi National University, 2, Kotsyubinsky St., Chernivtsi 58012, Ukraine
- 2 - Higher State Educational Establishment of Ukraine Bukovinian State Medical University, 2, Theatralna Sq., Chernivtsi 58002, Ukraine
- 3 - Kharkiv National Medical University, 4, Nauky Avenue, Kharkiv 61022, Ukraine
The use of modern pharmacological agents in the treatment of complications of diabetes mellitus does not solve all problems of this severe and diverse pathology, so the search for using of methods of physical therapy and rehabilitation for patients with diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy remains relevant. In addition, an effective combination of medications and physical therapy can accelerate the achievement of diabetes compensation, prevent or cause regression of neurovascular complications.
The purpose of the work was to evaluate the efficacy of physical therapy application for patients with diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy in outpatient treatment.
Material and methods. We examined 30 patients aged 55-70 years with diabetes mellitus of the 2nd type, complicated by diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy. The patients were divided into two groups depending on the conducting of the proposed physical therapy. A course of physical therapy lasted 3 months and consisted of 36 sessions and relaxation exercises with dosed walking. Dynamic assessment of the severity of manifestations diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy was performed using visual analogue scale and the Questionnaire DN4 (Bouhassira D. et al., 2005). Moderate and severe diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy with the existing pain syndrome, sensory and motor disorders were diagnosed.
Results and discussion. The results of the course of physical therapy demonstrated substantial (up to 40%) decrease of severity of diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy symptoms only in patients of the main group. The average subjective pain assessment after a course of physical therapy by the visual analogue scale in patients from the main group was 3.2±1.3 cm, with a variation from 2 to 5 cm. Reduction of pain syndrome as a result of course of physical therapy can be considered objective and significant, because the values of visual analogue scale were different from the previous ones in average of 15.3±1.3 mm. According to the DN4 questionnaire, after the course of physical therapy patients from the main group demonstrated the average values 5.1±0.7 points, with the differences of the score from 4 to 6, which confirmed the presence of a positive influence on the neurovascular complications of diabetes mellitus in patients with diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy.
Conclusion. Therefore, an additional prescription of complex physical therapy by its effectiveness demonstrates significant benefits in reducing of the clinical manifestations and progression of diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy in patients with diabetes 2-type in comparison with medical therapy along. The conducted study allowed us to prove the efficiency and to propose the inclusion of complex physical therapy treatment programs for patients with diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy during outpatient treatment
Keywords: diabetes mellitus 2nd type, diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy, physical therapy
Full text: PDF (Ukr) 280K
- Antoshchuk RIa. Tsukrovyi diabet: etiolohiia zakhvoriuvannia [Diabetes mellitus: etiology of the disease]. Molodyi vchenyi. 2016; 6(33): 277-80. [Ukrainian]
- Forouhi NG, Wareham NJ. Epidemiology of diabetes. Medicine. 2018; 47(1): 22-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mpmed.2018.10.004
- Vlasenko MV. Kombynyrovannaia terapyia sakharnoho dyabeta 2ho typa: kohda y s cheho nachynat? [Combination therapy of type 2 diabetes mellitus: when and where to start?]. Mezhdunarodnij endokrynolohycheskyi zhurnal. 2014; 1(33): 20-7. [Russian]
- Zheng Y, Ley S, Hu F. Global aetiology and epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus and its complications. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 88-98. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2017.151
- Mankovskyi BM, Larin OS, Bertaieva LV. Pokaznyky kompensatsii TsD v Ukraini — rezultaty doslidzhennia «Diakontrol» [Indicators of diabetes compensation in Ukraine - the results of the study "Diakontrol"]. Klinichna endokrynolohiia ta endokrynna khirurhiia. 2007; 4: 46-8. [Ukrainian]
- Lysenko HI, Tkachenko VI. Rol simeinoho likaria u vedenni tsukrovoho diabetu 2 typu [The role of the family doctor in the management of type 2 diabetes]. Liky Ukrainy plus. Ofitsiinyi kataloh druhoho mizhnarodnoho konhresu «Profilaktyka. Antyeidzhynh. Ukraina». 2012; 3/4(11-12): 12-3. [Ukrainian]
- Zilliox LA, Russell JW. Physical activity and dietary interventions in diabetic neuropathy: a systematic review. Clin Auton Res. 2019; 29: 443-55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10286-019-00607-x
- Pankiv VI. Tsukrovyi diabet: diahnostychni kryterii, etiolohiia i patohenez [Diabetes mellitus: diagnostic criteria, etiology and pathogenesis]. Mezhdunarodnyi endokrynolohycheskyi zhurnal. 2013; 8(56): 34-52. [Ukrainian]
- Ahn S, Song R. Effects of Tai Chi Exercise on glucose control, neuropathy scores, balance, and quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes and neuropathy. J Altern Complement Med (New York, NY). 2012; 18: 1172-8.
- Bismak OV. Osnovni pidkhody do zastosuvannia zasobiv fizychnoi reabilitatsiii pry tsukrovomu diabeti 2-ho typu [The main approaches to the use of physical rehabilitation in type 2 diabetes]. V: Mat Mizhnar nauk-prakt konf “Fizychna kultura i sport u suchasnomu suspilstvi: dosvid, problemy, rishennia”. Kyiv; 2015 Dec 20-21. 2015: 94-9. [Ukrainian]
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes–2014. Diabetes Care. 2014; 37(Suppl 1): S14–80.
- Bondarenko YuIu. Osoblyvosti LFK pry fizychnii reabilitatsii khvorykh na tsukrovyi diabet II typu [Features of exercise therapy in physical rehabilitation of patients with type 2 diabetes]. V: Mat III Vseukr nauk-prakt konf “Problemy fizychnoho zdorovia fakhivtsiv XXI stolittia”. Kirovohrad; 2009. 2009: 85–9. [Ukrainian]
- Kalmykov SA, Kalmykova YuS. Suchasni pohliady na vykorystannia metodyk likuvalnoi fizychnoi kultury u fizychnii terapii khvorykh na tsukrovyi diabet 2 typu [Modern views on the use of exercise therapy techniques in physical therapy of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus]. Fizychna reabilitatsiia ta rekreatsiino-ozdorovchi tekhnolohii. 2017; 1: 10-15. [Ukrainian]
- Masterov OS, Kalmykov SA. Analiz rezultativ korektsii hiperhlikemii pry tsukrovomu diabeti 2 typu zasobamy fizychnoi terapii [Analysis of the results of correction of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus by means of physical therapy]. Fizychna reabilitatsiia ta rekreatsiino-ozdorovchi tekhnolohii. 2017; 1: 44-52. [Ukrainian]
- Myronenko SH. Zmist prohram fizychnoi reabilitatsii dlia khvorykh na tsukrovyi diabet [Contents of physical rehabilitation programs for patients with diabetes]. Visnyk problem biolohii i medytsyny. 2019; 1(149): 10-14. [Ukrainian]
- Barylo AS, Furman RL. Kompleksnij analyz bolevoho syndroma u patsyentov s perelomamy nyzhnei cheliusty pry yspolzovanyy preparata «Nukleo TsMF forte» [Comprehensive analysis of pain syndrome in patients with mandibular fractures using the drug "Nucleo CMF forte"]. Sovremennaia stomatolohyia. 2014; 3: 62-67. [Russian]
- Belova AN, Shkali, testi y oprosnyky v nevrolohyy y neirokhyrurhyy [Scales, tests and questionnaires in neurology and neurosurgery]. Rukovodstvo dlia vrachei y nauchnikh rabotnykov. M; 2004. 432 s. [Russian]
- Papanas N, Ziegler D. New diagnostic tests for diabetic distal symmetric polyneuropathy. J Diabetes Complications. 2011 Jan-Feb; 25(1): 44-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2009.09.006