Experimental Medicine and Morphology
Changing of Leptin Concentration in Ovariaectomized Rats with Metabolic Syndrome in the Conditions of Immune Activity Compounds AdministrationKozar V. V. 1, Yeriomenko R. F. 1, Dolzhykova O. V. 1, Gorbenko N. I. 2, Kudria M. Y. 2, Yaremenko F. G. 2
- 1 - National University of Pharmacy
- 53, Pushkinska St., Kharkiv 61002, Ukraine
- 2 - VYa Danilevsky Institute of Endocrine Pathology Problems, NAMS of Ukraine
- 10, Artema St., Kharkiv 61002, Ukraine
Today the role of leptine in modulating methabolic, energetic and immune effects is actively studied. The effect of compounds with immunomodulating properties on the course of the metabolic syndrome (MS) in combination with hypoestrogeny has not been sufficiently studied today. In the laboratory of hormone-like compounds synthesis of the State Institution “V. Danilevsky Institute for Endocrine Pathology Problems of National Academy of Medical Science of Ukraine” (Kharkіv, Ukraine) we have synthetically produced the derivative of levamisol-308 (PL-308) which corresponds to the class 5 of toxicity (almost non-toxic compounds) according to the acute toxicity data, when the levamisol corresponds to the class 4 (low-toxic compounds).
The purpose of research is to investigate the effect of levamisole and its derivative PL-308 on the leptin concentration in rats with MS against a background of estrogen deficiency.
The object and methods of research. The tests are made on the 3-month white female rats of the line Vistar. We reproduced the hypoestrogenia by the way of two-side overiaectomia with the light etherization. We preceded the induction of MS within 2 weeks aftert of the operative intervention. The high-carbohydrate diet (HCD) was provided by the free access to the 30 % sweet water as a potable water during 5 weeks.
Insulin resistance was determined by the parameters of the area under the glycemic curve, body weight and leptin level (by ELISA method) in the ovariectomized female rats with MS in conditions of administration of compounds with immunomodulatory properties such as levamisole and its derivative PL-308. The compounds were administered for 5 weeks by the means of a zonde.
Results and discussion. The combination of the hypoestrogenia with the MS causes the carbohydrate intolerance and body mass increase with the animals. The administration of immunomodulatory compounds didn`t influence on the animals body mass but normalized the square of glycemic curve. The hypoestrogenia causes the decrease of the leptine level. The combination of the estrogen deficit with MS doesn`t influence the index further. The administration of levamisole and PL-308 has promoted the increase of the leptine level.
Conclusions. The levamisol and its derivative PL-308 have improved the metabolic conditions with the animals which is proved by the leptine level increase and the carbohydrates intolerance decrease.
Keywords: levamisol, levamisol derivate PL-308, leptin, metabolic syndrome, deficiency of estrogens
Full text: PDF (Ukr) 205K
- Ghantous CM, Azrak Z, Hanache S, Abou-Kheir W, Zeidan A. Differential Role of Leptin and Adiponectin in Cardiovascular System. International Journal of Endocrinology. 2015; 2015: Article ID 534320, 13 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/534320
- Maturana MA, Franz RF, Metzdorf M, da Silva TR, Spritzer PM. Subclinical cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women with low/medium cardiovascular risk by the Framingham risk score. Maturitas. 2015; 81 (2): 311-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25869902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2015.03.012
- Abella V, Scotece M, Conde J, Pino J, Gonzalez-Gay MA, Gómez-Reino JJ, Mera A, Lago F, Gómez R, Gualillo O. Leptin in the interplay of inflammation, metabolism and immune system disorders. Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2017; 13 (2): 100-9. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28053336. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrrheum.2016.209
- Chedraui P, Pérez-López FR, Escobar GS, Palla G, Montt-Guevara M, Cecchi E, Genazzani AR, Simoncini T. Circulating leptin, resistin, adiponectin, visfatin, adipsin and ghrelin levels and insulin resistance in postmenopausal women with and without the metabolic syndrome. Maturitas. 2014; 79 (1): 86-90. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25015014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.06.008
- Pérez-Pérez A, Vilariño-García T, Fernández-Riejos P, Martín-González J, Segura-Egea JJ, Sánchez-Margalet V. Role of leptin as a link between metabolism and the immune system. Cytokine & Growth Factor Reviews. 2017; 35: 71-84. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28285098. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cytogfr.2017.03.001
- Procaccini C, La Rocca C, Carbone F, De Rosa V, Galgani M, Matarese G. Leptin as immune mediator: Interaction between neuroendocrine and immune system. Developmental & Comparative Immunology. 2017; 66: 120-9. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27288847. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2016.06.006
- Yin C, Kang L, Lai C, Zhou J, Shi B, Zhang L, Chen H. Effects of 17β-estradiol on leptin signaling in anterior pituitary of ovariectomized rats. Experimental Animals. 2017; 66 (2): 159-166. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/5411302. https://doi.org/10.1538/expanim.16-0087
- Lai X, Pei Q, Song X, Zhou X, Yin Z, Jia R, Zou Y, Li L, Yue G, Lia X, Yin L, Lv C, Jing B. The enhancement of immune function and activation of NF-κB by resveratrol-treatment in immunosuppressive mice. International Immunopharmacology. 2016; 33: 42-7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26854575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2016.01.028
- Mackey RH, McTigue KM, Chang YF, Barinas-Mitchell E, Evans RW, Tinker LF, Lewis CE, Manson JE, Stefanick ML, Howard BV, Phillips LS, Liu S, Kulick D, Kuller LH. Lipoprotein particles and size, total and high molecular weight adiponectin, and leptin in relation to incident coronary heart disease among severely obese postmenopausal women: The Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. BBA Clinical. 2015; 3: 243-50. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25825692. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/4375554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbacli.2015.03.005